The church was built in 1540 by Diunamind's elder Caspar von Tyzenhausen. It was wooden and one of the oldest Lutheran churches in Latvia and Lithuania. In 1653 the church was converted into a stone wall and renovated in 1742. The present church of stone masonry with Gothic features dates back to 1793. It was reconstructed in 1889-1890 and the tower was delivered. It is believed that a tower clock was built at the time, still beating the clock every half hour.