In 1867, the Orthodox Church arose in the town square. There were not many orthodox believers, only 1.8 per cent of all city’s population. They were mainly Russian nationality people. They rallied near St. Peter and Paul’s Orthodox Church.
Since 1937, when a new church was built in the Orthodox cemetery, it turned into the Orthodox centre. The church was then led by clergyman Mikalojus Savickis.
Orthodox believers tried to retain old dogmas, followed rites of the Eastern church (held them in the old church Slavic language), Julian calendar, which they observed throughout all festivals. Now church worship is held only on Sundays.